D.C. Talent Summit
April 2, 2020 | 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
Office of the State Superintendent of Education
1050 First St NE
Washington D.C. 20002
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and EdFuel are pleased to announce the fourth annual 2020 DC Talent Summit, Thursday, April 2, 2020 at OSSE, 1050 First St NE, Washington, DC.
Last year 99% of 2019 Talent Summit participants were satisfied with the quality of facilitators. Hear from them and other talent experts this year!
On Thursday, April 2, 2020, the D.C. Talent Summit will provide education leaders from across the city with an opportunity to share best practices and build skill in the areas of talent recruitment, development and retention.
The purpose of the Talent Summit is to convene leaders to:
- Build community awareness of the state of the D.C. talent landscape around supporting all students
- Develop knowledge and skill in building equitable, high-impact, and inclusive talent systems that recruit, develop, and retain excellent staff at all levels
- Build relationships and collaborate with fellow leaders around talent systems, developing others, and personal leadership
Participants will leave the Talent Summit with actionable tools and resources for improving talent and development practices at your organization.
All are welcome to attend. The Talent Summit is targeted towards:
- Talent Leaders at the LEA or school level, eg. Chief Talent Officers, Directors of Talent, Recruitment Managers, School Leaders
- Leaders Managing Educator Development at the LEA or school level, g. Principal, Vice Principal, Instructional Coach, Mentoring & Induction Program Director, Managers of Teacher Supports
We also welcome leaders in other organizations focused on educator talent and development, such as Education Preparation Program Officers, non-profit directors, etc.
The day will include breakfast, breakout sessions, and a networking lunch.
Past breakout session topics include:
Reflections from DC charter organizations on how they’re building talent capacity
Defining what novice teachers should know and be able to do
Looking beyond compensation to craft your employee value proposition
Accelerating your effectiveness as a leader of adult learners with cognitive, technical, and student-driven coaching
Integrating diversity, equity & inclusion into your talent practices and organizational mindset
Eliminating bias in evaluation systems
Developing and retaining instructional leaders
Building the emotional intelligence of teams
Creative approaches and simple tools for recruiting top talent
Implementing performance management systems for non-instructional staff
A full agenda for the day will be provided upon registration for sessions. A full agenda for the day will be provided upon registration for sessions.
The 2019 D.C. Talent Summit will take place on Thursday, April 2, 2020 at the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE). The address is 1050 First St NE, Washington, DC 20002. Upon entering the building, check in with the security guard, then proceed behind the desk to the Eleanor Holmes Norton I Training Room (Room 108).
The OSSE building has a ground-level main entrance, accessible restrooms, wellness/lactation rooms, and an elevator.
Registration is FREE and open to the public. Click here to reserve your seat. Details regarding registration for specific sessions will be provided at the end of February.
Upon arrival you will receive a registration folder including a Talent Summit agenda, feedback surveys and facilitator information. There is free Wi-Fi at OSSE.
- Wireless Network: DCWifi
- No password is required
Handouts will be provided for all sessions and electronic copies will be shared afterward via Google Drive. However, most sessions will include work time so you may wish to bring your laptop and/or a tablet with you.
Driving & Parking:
- Participants who drive to the training can find parking in nearby paid parking garages for anywhere from $10 to $20 daily rate, depending on the lot and the early bird prices. TIP: The parking garage directly to the north of the OSSE building at the corner of L St. NE and First St. NE (address is 1100 First St., but garage is on L St. NE) charges only $11/day for early bird rate, and accepts credit card payments. Other nearby lots are further east on L St. NE (directly behind the Wundergarten ($10 early bird-cash only), or on K & 1st Street, and also corner of K St. & North Capitol. Metered street parking may be available in the area, but may only allow for 2-hour blocks of time.
- The OSSE Building is located halfway between the NoMa/Gallaudet stop on the Red Line and the Union Station stop on the Red Line of the Metro. The closest station is NoMa/Gallaudet (when exiting this station, take the SOUTHERN exit, which leads on to M St. NE, turn right on M St. and head west towards First St. NE and Harris Teeter, then turn left and go one block south on First Street to the OSSE building. If you are coming from Union Station metro stop, exit the building on the northwest side, take a right onto First St. NE, then proceed north for four blocks to L St. NE.